How can antioxidants benefit you?
Antioxidants are essential in the body because they help protect cells from damage, inflammation, and oxidative stress. Damage to cells can lead to an array of different chronic health problems, so it is important to ensure that your body has enough antioxidants.
There are many different types of antioxidants, such as flavonoids and polyphenols, and each one has its own set of benefits. Here are some of the ways antioxidants can benefit your overall health:
- They can protect your cells from damage and oxidative stress
- They can dramatically reduce your risk of chronic illness and disease, including cancer
- They can slow down the aging process – both physically and neurologically
- They can help you stay energized and maintain normal energy levels
- They can boost your immune system, and regulate proper immune function
How can you add more antioxidants to your diet?
You can increase the levels of antioxidants naturally in your diet by eating berries, leafy greens, nuts, and other healthy plant-based foods. Eating red, orange, deep yellow, and dark green leafy vegetables every day can help provide sufficient antioxidants to your body and increase antioxidant and mineral intake.
If you're not getting enough antioxidants from vegetables or plant-based foods on a daily basis or recovering from illness, then antioxidant supplements might be an option worth exploring to boost intake.