Cold Weather always brings a desire for a hearty and healthy meal. Winter months can be long and cruel for those who long for the warmth of the sun on their cheeks. Our one escape from the cold….can be food.
We are sharing one of favourite recipes to warm you from the inside out on the coldest of days: Red Lentil Dahl. A staple in Indian Cousin, this recipe can be served alongside Jasmine rice or in addition to other delicious Indian dishes. Full of flavor, spice and depth, the best part of this dish is it is totally vegan and gluten free.
Our favourite part is how easy it is to make a large batch and freeze. This will allow for a quick and healthy snack or a meal for another day. When everyone’s belly is full, portion out the rest for a quick and simple grab from the freezer. Red Lentil Dahl easily stores up to 3 Months in a freezer and just as delicious when brought back to life and heated up.
2 onions diced
3 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh ginger peeled and grated
½ finely chopped red chilli (or 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes)
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp coriander seeds
½ tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala
200 g (1 cup) dried red lentils, uncooked (rinsed and drained)
1 can chopped tomatoes
250 ml (1 cups) vegetable stock
250 ml (1 cup) coconutmilk
We always recommend you start your cooking with a clean and sanitary space. Cleaning the space and allowing time to prep the ingredients beforehand will make for a less hectic cooking experience. Leaving much more time to enjoy the process of creating a loving and fulfilling meal for you and loved ones.
1. Heat your pan and saute your onions till they are transparent, once reached, add your garlic and finely chopped red chili (or chili flakes).
2. Grab your mortar and pestle and gently grind your cumin seed and mustard seed.
3. Add your cumin, mustard, turmeric and garam masala to the pan. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add coconut milk, tomatoes, veggie stock and red lentils to the pan. Stir thoroughly and lower heat to just a simmer.
5. Check every 5 minutes and stir, cooking should last 15-20 minutes.
6. Check your Red Lentil Dahl for flavor and add more spice if you want to kick it up a notch! If needed, follow the instructions before adding ( cumin seed and mustard seed need to be ground first).
7. Transfer the Red Lentil Dahl to your favourite serving bowl and squeeze half a lemon into the dish to brighten the flavour profile. Make certain you catch the seeds of the lemon while squeezing!
Here you have it! One of favourite Winter dishes! Easy and fast to make and FULL of flavor. Make certain to have a bowl of Jasmine rice at the table to accompany the Dahl. Add a simple green salad to cut through the heartyness of the lentils. Add your Red Lentil Dahl to multiple Indian dishes and take a culinary trip around India. Incredibly versatile and sure to fill everyone at the table, Red Lentil Dahl will be a go to dish for you and your loved ones!
We love sharing our recipes with you and would LOVE to see how they come out! Tag us @HealthyPlanet on Instagram and show us your creations!