Soup season is here! And you guessed it…we have a great addition to the soup game. Creating a Curried Vegan Sweet Potato Bisque is going to warm your soul and fuel you all at the same time. Curry is one of the most versatile spices in the kitchen, and we are putting it to good use combining sweet potato, spices, coconut milk and more.
Soups recipes can be very secretive. A certain dash of this or that can completely change flavour profile. Alas, we are here to give you the full rundown on what is certainly one of our favourite winter soups, Curried Sweet Potato Bisque. Super simple to make and a for sure hit with loved ones on a cold winter day. The spices will have your body fully warmed up and ready for another round on the toboggan.
4 sweet potatoes
2 cans organic coconut milk
1 ½ white onions
4 cloves garlic
1 tbsp Yellow Curry (add more pending on your taste)
1 tsp Nigella
1 tsp Garam Masala (add more pending on your taste)
1 tsp Turmeric (add more pending on your taste)
1 tsp Salt (add more pending on your taste)
1 tsp Pepper (add more pending on your taste)
1 tbsp Xtra virgin olive oil
Large baking sheet pan
We always recommend you start your cooking with a clean and sanitary space. Cleaning the space and allowing time to prep the ingredients beforehand will make for a less hectic cooking experience. Leaving much more time to enjoy the process of creating a loving and fulfilling meal for you and loved ones.
1. Start by peeling and preparing all your vegetables. Peeling and dicing sweet potatoes, peeling and dicing your white onions, also removing the skins of the garlic.
2. Toss your sweet potato and garlic with ½ tbsp of Xtra virgin olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Lay out over the baking sheet pan and roast for 20 minutes at 375 degrees F (190 C ).
3. While roasting the sweet potato and garlic, heat your soup pot just above medium heat. Add the rest of your Xtra virgin olive oil and your onions and cook till they get translucent.
4. Now that you have successfully sweat your onions add your sweet potatoes and garlic after they have roasted. Add your spice’s ( turmeric, garam masala, nigella, yellow curry) stir the spice’s and vegetables together thoroughly.
5. Add your coconut milk and turn heat down to low. Stir every so often to keep from the bottom burning. Cook until sweet potatoes are soft. Taste every once in a while and add more spice if desired.
6. The next step is when you pull it all together and create the bisque! Grab your Vitamix (blender) and add about half the bisque (vegetables included) into your Vitamix. Blend till it becomes a soup like consistency. Once you have finished that, add the rest of your soup to the mix and blend entirely. Add vegetable stock to adjust the thickness. Garnish with something crunchy or some freshly chopped green onion!
Sit back, fill your cup, sip and enjoy. Full of flavor our warm and loving Curried Vegan Sweet Potato Bisque is perfect for the cold weather and hungry bellies. Let us know what you think and show us your Bisque by tagging us on Instagram, #healthyplanet.