You may not know it, but it’s never too late to find out what all the buzz is about. Move over Coffee, move over Matcha Lattes, mover over Morning Tea…..there is a new boss in town and it brought all the healing and loving power that Turmeric has to offer. Turmeric Lattes are here and they are every bit as amazing as you may have heard.
There are countless benefits of skipping your morning coffee and replacing it with a Turmeric Latte. From the ingredients being loaded with antioxidants, helping reduce inflammation and joint pain and protecting against heart disease, these are just a few of the reasons to jump on the Turmeric Latte bandwagon.
Below we will guide you step by step on preparing and creating the very best turmeric latte your heart could desire.
1. Fresh Turmeric: 4 inch piece peeled
2. Fresh Ginger: 3 inch piece peeled
3. Black Pepper: pinch of freshly ground
4. Coconut Milk: 2 1/2 cups
5. Cinnamon: 2 sticks
6. Water: 1 1/2 cups
7. Nutmeg: a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
8.Cardamom Seed: 5 seeds
9. Coconut Oil: 1/2 teaspoon cold coconut oil
1. Start by bringing your water to a boil and adding your freshly peeled Turmeric and Ginger . Reduce the heat to a simmer and let the roots soak.
2. In a second pot, bring your coconut milk, cinnamon sticks, cardamom seeds and grated nutmeg to a boil and instantly reduce heat to a slight simmer. The trick with this is time, the longer you let it simmer, the longer the flavors of the cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom immerse themselves into the coconut milk. Make sure to reduce heat to low after it reaches a boiling point.
3. Grab your blender and pour in the water, turmeric and ginger. Blend on high until you have created a golden liquid. Remove the now blended concoction by pouring over a strainer into a bowl or container to capture the liquid. What should be left in the strainer is a paste of sorts that consists of the ginger and turmeric that was blended leaving behind a silky smooth yellow milk.
4. Remove the cinnamon and cardamom from the simmering coconut milk and pull off the heat. With your blender readily available, combine your golden milk, simmered spiced coconut milk and cold coconut oil. The idea behind the coconut oil is to give it a thicker froth when blending. After combining everything in the blender, go ahead and blend thoroughly.
5. Our last step is pour into your favourite mug, add freshly ground black pepper ( Important to add the black pepper due to the fact that it helps your body absorb the healing powers that turmeric make available.)
We all have our own taste buds and we encourage you to add or subtract to fit your taste. Turmeric is a gift from mother nature and can be enjoyed in many different ways. This just happens to be one of our favourite.
Create your own favourite variation of the Turmeric Latte and show us your masterpiece by tagging #HealthyPlanetBreakfast on your Instagram page. Looking forward to seeing all the different variations.