This bee-inspired granola recipe made from wildflower honey and bee pollen is an ode to summer’s favorite picnic visitor. It is sweet and satisfying thanks to healthy fats from almonds and protein-rich hemp seeds. Be sure to use sustainably harvested honey and bee pollen sources to protect the bees and support local beekeepers. Serve with honey-sweetened, lemony vanilla Greek yogurt.
Ingredients» 2 c old fashioned rolled oats
» 1 c raw slivered almonds (or other nuts)
» 1 tsp fine grain sea salt
» ¼ tsp cinnamon
» ½ c melted coconut oil
» ½ c wildflower honey
» 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
» ¼ c bee pollen
Instructions1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, nuts, salt, and cinnamon. Mix well.
3. Gently stir in the melted oil, honey, and vanilla until well combined.
4. Turn the mixed granola out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and spread it in an even layer.
5. Bake for 20–25 minutes, stirring halfway until lightly golden. Mix bee pollen into the hot granola and let set.
6. Cool for 10 minutes, then serve on top of homemade yogurt with more bee pollen and wildflower honey.
Lemony Vanilla Greek Yogurt
Use this yogurt as the base for your bee-inspired granola parfait, or pair it with grilled pineapple kebabs (on page 58) as a high-protein dipping sauce for your dessert your Greek yogurt just got a little more interesting!
Ingredients» 1 c unsweetened Greek yogurt
» 2 Tbsp wildflower honey
» 1 Tbsp lemon zest
» Juice from 1 lemon
» 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
InstructionsMix everything together and store in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Rosemary Pineapple Kebabs
An easy low-sugar dessert that doesn’t require the oven on a hot summer day. Fruit-based desserts provide tons of antioxidants and fibre, and the grilling of marinated pineapple brings out its natural sweetness no need for refined sugar in this recipe!
Ingredients» 1 large ripe pineapple, cored and chopped into 1-inch pieces
» 1 sprig fresh rosemary
» 2 Tbsp honey or organic cane sugar
» 2 Tbsp high-heat-safe cooking oil (coconut or avocado)
» Juice and zest from 1 lime
Instructions1. Remove rosemary leaves from stem and finely chop.
2. Mix all your marinade in a large bowl and add the chopped pineapple. Toss to coat and let sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
3. Place pineapple pieces onto wood or metal kebab skewers and cook over medium heat on the grill, flipping halfway through so both sides have nice grill marks (approximately 3–5 minutes on each side).
Rice Noodle Bowl
This no-bake, family-friendly dinner recipe is interactive and customizable, making it a great option for picky eaters. You can prepare all the ingredients ahead of time for a quick and simple weekday dinner; swap vegetables, proteins, and herbs based on what you have fresh at home, or whatever looks great at the farmers’ market.
Ingredients» 1 c natural creamy peanut butter, almond butter, or tahini
» Juice of 2 limes and zest of 1 lime
» 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
» 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce or sweet soy sauce
» 2 Tbsp soy sauce or coconut aminos
» 1 tsp maple syrup or honey
» 2 tsp hot sauce (optional)
» ¹ / ³ c hot water
» 1 package rice noodles
» Protein of choice: 1 package of firm tofu, 1 package of wild shrimp, 6 chicken thighs, or 2 chicken breasts
» 1 c chopped herbs of choice: mint, basil, Thai basil, cilantro
» A minimum of 2 vegetables: lettuce, peppers, carrots, mung bean sprouts, bok choy, zucchini, cucumbers, cabbage
» ½ c roasted salted nuts of choice: cashew, peanuts, slivered almonds
Instructions1. Prepare your sauce by mixing the first 8 ingredients together in a large bowl to create a smooth and creamy consistency.
2. Set the sauce aside while you prepare your proteins and vegetables. Prepare proteins first so they have a little bit of time to marinate. Leave shrimp whole if using, otherwise cut your proteins into bite-sized pieces.
3. Pour ½ the sauce over your protein and let sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. Set the remaining sauce aside.
4. Chop your veggies into long strips, excluding mung beans (if chosen) since they’re already in the perfect shape. Set aside.
5. Cook your proteins on the BBQ or stovetop until cooked through. Prepare the noodles according to package directions, then strain and mix with the remaining creamy sauce until well incorporated.
6. Serve noodles in a bowl and let everyone at the table add their own protein, vegetables, herbs, and roasted salted nuts to finish. Serve with more lime.