There are innumerable articles on the internet about how to control diabetes but not as many on the prevention of it. Diabetes is surely a dreaded chronic condition characterized by high blood sugar level and is highly limiting in the life choices one can make. However, all is not lost. You can start being pro-active from today and ensure that the dark cloud of Type 2 Diabetes dissipates before it can affect your body, your mind, and your life.
Changing certain aspects of our life is all that is needed but as we all know, lifestyle changes can be one of the hardest decisions to make and even harder to implement. But there is no denying that keeping yourself safe is of the uppermost importance, especially in the face of the modern life with its break-neck pace, the heavy consumption of junk food and often sedentary work requirements. One must find the courage to fight the demons in our heads and change for the better. After all, a healthy life is a happy life!
- Lose Excess Body Fat - The unnecessary fat, especially around the abdomen, not only makes us lazier but it also increases the body's resistance to insulin, which can lead to Type 2 Diabetes. Plan ahead and make small goals for weight loss, don't lose it all at once.
- Eat Green - One of the major changes to your diet that you're looking for is adding more green vegetables to it, be it in salads or sides or as ingredients in your protein dishes. Veggies are rich in antioxidants thus, prevent the cells of your body from damage and are also low-calorie foods. You can feel full without the unwanted empty calories.
- Drink Water - High blood sugar levels are dangerous and result in diabetes, but drinking a lot of water helps the body keep blood sugar levels within healthy limits. When you drink more water, more blood sugar passes to the kidneys and they in turn remove it through urine.
- Exercise Regularly - By exercising on a daily basis, you help your body better utilize the existing sugar in your bloodstream, therefore, ensuring the blood glucose levels are nominal. You don't necessarily have to join a gym, even simple walking or swimming for half an hour a day does the trick.
- Sleep Well - The significance of adequate sleep in a proper schedule cannot be overstated. Getting too little sleep can increase your appetite and your craving for sugars. Regular sleep helps revitalize your body and keeps your hormones under control. Hormones are important in the regulation of the metabolism and appetite thus, good weight control.
- Relax, Don't Stress - Try to stay away from stressful environments and situations as when you are stressed, hormones such as cortisol and glucagon are released into the bloodstream which causes your sugar levels to increase. Meditation and exercise are found to be great at relieving stress.
- Stay Away From The Vice - Addictive habits like smoking and drinking are extremely damaging to your body. The risk of developing diabetes is twice as high in smokers as compared to non-smokers. An occasional pint of beer is quite alright as it has been found that a small intake of alcohol is beneficial in reducing the risk of diabetes but excessive drinking has the opposite effect. Remember, the excess is bad news.
There you have it! Natural ways to prevent you from the disabling condition that is diabetes. Your life is precious and it is in your hands. Choose wisely!