Don’t let their tiny size fool you, Chia seeds have mega nutritional and culinary perks! Well known for being a tasty addition to puddings and parfaits, chia seeds can also be used to whip up a healthy energizing drink.
The Benefits of Cooking with Chia
Chia seeds are a good source of plant-based protein that also contain vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Just two tablespoons provide :
- 5 g of protein
- 3 g of omega-3 essential fatty acids
- 0.5 g of soluble dietary fibre
- 9.5 g of insoluble dietary fibre
- 179 mg of calcium
- 2 mg of iron
Chia seeds are easy to incorporate into recipes because they’re mild flavoured, vegan friendly, and gluten free! Their amazing gelling action makes them an ideal substitution for egg or pectin too. When you’re creating a recipe that includes chia seeds (like the one below), you’re in for a healthy, satisfying, and filling treat.
Lemon-Peach Chia Fresca
Chia Fresca, also called Iskiate, is a refreshing and healthy energizing drink. It has been popularized for helping to fuel the iconic long runs of the Mexican Tarahumara tribe, but can also be enjoyed for its satiating properties . The following drink is a peachy twist on the classic Chia Fresca recipe.
- 2 cups water
- 1 peach, diced
- 2 tbsp honey
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- 2 tbsp Organic chia seeds
- Combine water, peach, and honey in a small pot
- Heat on medium until peaches soften
- Remove from heat and allow to cool
- Mash peaches into a pulp and strain liquid into a bowl
- Stir in fresh lemon juice and chia seeds
- Pour into two glasses and chill in the fridge for at least 10 minutes
 USDA. “Basic Report: 12006, Seeds, Chia Seeds, Dried.” National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference Release 28. Web. 18 July 2016.
 Viksan V, Jenkins AL, Dias AG, Lee AS, Jovanovski E, Roqovik AL, and Hanna A. “Reduction in Postprandial Glucose Excursion and Prolongation of Satiety: Possible Explanation of the Long-Term Effects of Whole Grain Salba (Salvia Hispanica L.).” Eur J Clin Nutr. 64.4, 2010: 436-8. Web. 22 July 2016.