The Movember Foundation runs a global charity every year to raise funds and awareness for “changing the face of men’s health”. It addresses health issues such as prostate, testicular cancer, and mental health. It challenges men to grow a mustache and help raise money and awareness. In this blog, Healthy Planet Canada would like to share important information on Prostate that everybody should know about.
The prostate is a gland located below the bladder and in front of the rectum. It is an important part of the male’s reproductive system as it produces a thick milky fluid that is part of the semen. Every man should be concerned with the health of their prostate gland. Conditions such as prostatitis, benign prostatic hyperplasia, and prostate cancer can occur at any age but are much more frequent in men over 40 years old. Prostate cancer is the second most common cancer in men and each year, more than 100, 000 of men are dying because of this condition.
It is very important to be aware of the related symptoms whenever prostate problems do occur, so you can seek professional medical help and get a proper diagnosis. Prostate cancer and benign prostatic hyperplasia, which is the benign enlargement of the prostate gland that occurs with age, have very similar symptoms. As the prostate gland is in proximity to the bladder and urethra, if enlarged or a tumor is present, it will squeeze the urethra leading to the following symptoms:
Feeling an urge to urinate many times per day, decreased urinary flow, burning or pain during urination and also blood in the urine which is known as hematuria.
These symptoms can be relieved by a range of natural products such a Bell Prostate Ezee Flow, Nu life Prostate Therapy, Prairie Naturals Post-Force, Brad King Ultimate Prostate and New Roots Prostate Perform.
Here are some tips that according to some studies can help in the prevention of diseases related to prostate:
1. Choose a healthy lifestyle: Maintain a healthy body weight, exercise regularly, avoid smoking and alcohol, and drink plenty of water.
2. Maximize your consumption of fruits and vegetables which are good sources of antioxidants that protect tissues of our body from damage and polyphenols which are micronutrients packed with health benefits.
3. Choose a more plant-based protein, since animal-based proteins, especially red meat, has been linked to an increased risk of developing prostate cancer.
4. Include Selenium-rich foods in your diets such as Brazil nuts, oysters, liver, and tuna. Selenium keeps the tissue in our body healthy and prevents cell damage.
5. Include zinc in your diet. You can find zinc in food sources like Oysters, veal liver, beef and much more.
6. Inform your doctor if you have any family history of prostate cancer and monitor your PSA (Prostate-specific antigen) regularly. The PSA is a blood test done for detecting prostate cancer.
During this month of November, let’s build awareness and save the life of a husband, a father, a son, a brother, a friend or a loved one. Healthy Planet Canada cares about your well-being. By sharing our knowledge and providing you with beneficial supplements, we are here to help you reduce your risk of developing prostate problems. Together, let’s avoid losing our loved ones too soon!