Welcome back to my little corner of foodie love! For those of you who are checking in for the first time, let me introduce myself. My name is Cass, I am a Holistic Nutritionist obsessed with creating wholesome, healthy and nutritious recipes to share with friends and family. I have been fortunate enough to team up with Healthy Planet to share my love for creating (and eating) nutritious favourites for you and the rest of the Health & Wellness Community. I hope you love these recipes as much as we do! Let me know what you think in the comment section and enjoy!
Fall is here to STAY! If you’re looking for ways to incorporate seasonal flavours into your dishes then look no further, you have found it. My Roasted Squash Harvest Salad happens to be the perfect lunch or side dish to add with any meal. This may seem like a complex dish, but it is seriously so easy to prep and everything can be done while the squash is roasting in the oven. Perfect! Created with mixed greens, heirloom tomatoes, celery, red onions, quinoa and lastly the star of the show, roasted White Swan Squash dusted with my signature pecan-walnut “cheese” crumb topping!
I know some people steer clear from the squash family because they are not an easy vegetable to prep, but trust me when I say, it’s all worth it in the end. Squash can make any Fall dish come to life. My Favourite part are the different varieties of squash to choose from and the many ways you can incorporate them into your meals!
Salads can get a bad rep because we tend to eat themprepared the same way Every. Single. Time!! Well, this is it, no more boring salads! My Harvest Salad is the perfect seasonal dish and sure to leave you feeling satisfied. As long as you have a leafy green, healthy fats, protein, colour and crunch…you can make any salad fun.
The Maple Crumb Harvest Salad is loaded with delicious Autumn flavours and is packed with tons of nutrients. My favourite part? The orange-maple-walnut dressing and pecan-walnut crumb topping. Seriously, who doesn’t love the sound of that? Convincing the family to eat their greens has never been easier!
4 tbsp EVOO
3 tbsp Canadian maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 400 F
2. Mix EVOO and maple syrup in a small bowl and glaze over the squash halves
3. Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes until tender throughout
4. Cut each squash into thinner wedges to place on top of the salad
Orange-Maple Walnut Dressing
¼ cup Canadian maple syrup
4 tbsp EVOO
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
1. Combine all ingredients except EVOO in a food processor or blender until thoroughly combined, ensuring the walnuts are pureed and no longer chunky.
2. Add EVOO through the feeding tube while food processor is still running
3. Add 1 tbsp water at a time if needed to reach desired consistency
4. Transfer to glass jar and store in the fridge
"Cheesy" Pecan-Walnut Crumb
¼ cup walnut
¼ cup pecan
4 tbsp hemp seeds
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
½ tbsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp sea salt
1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulsate. Make sure not to over pulse as we don’t want the mixture to form a flour-like consistency, rather chunky/crumby
2. Transfer crumb topping into a bowl
3. Coat each squash piece in the bowl with the bowl, making sure one side of the squash is covered with crumb topping.
Washed Mixed Greens (enough for 6 people)
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa (follow directions on box to cook)
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
In a large mixing bowl, add your washed greens, diced red onion, chopped celery, dressing, room tempeture quinoa, sea salt and ground black pepper to taste, toss and coat lightly. Start with less dressing and ad more if needed. Once your greens are coated, transfer to your favourite salad dish ( a long narrow serving dish works best for presentation, but any salad dish will do). Once transfered, coat 1 side of your roasted squash with the "cheesy" crump up and lay length wise! Add a few pinches of the crumb to the top of the salad for an extra crunch!
Follow @healthyplanet for more Health and Wellness Recipes from yours truly! You can also follow me @the_nourishingproject for past Health and Wellness Recipes!
Happy Harvest, from yours truly!
The Nourishing Project