Over the moon thinking about life with your new baby? While you’re planning your Lying-in, here are some essentials to help you have a comforting and calm recuperation so you can establish a bond with your baby while you heal your body!
- How long can you “lie in” – realistically do you have two days, a week, a luxurious month? Whatever you can manage, prepare to make the most of it by doing the least you can once baby arrives. (Remember, not “doing”, just “being”.)
- Who will be there while you bond and heal? A partner, a friend, a relative, a support team of people or a group of trusted neighbors? Think about who you can turn to so you don’t have to even get out of bed. Make a schedule so you know who to count on.
- Prepare and freeze padsicles (frozen herbal pads to comfort your healing vagina – see below).
- Spray bottle with a comforting herbal mixture to help you prepare for when you need to pee.
- Towels and pads for under your healing bottom and milk-filled breasts.
- Meals in the freezer – enough for you and for the people coming to help you. You don’t want to have to feel like you need to cook or even order pizza. This is just what crock pots were made for.
- Prepare several simple, nourishing, healing foods for you, like bone broth, oatmeal, healing and boosting herbs, foods that can help get your body rebalance and heal, help your milk production, and more. Not just dinner! You need easy-to -eat, easy–to-prepare breakfast, lunch and snacks too, and have lots of healthful fluids, lots of water, herbal teas and kombucha.
- A loving but clear message to friends, family, neighbors that you may just need some time to yourself, people can see the baby after you’ve all got to know each other a little.
- Don’t wear pants.
- A mantra or saying: something that helps you to remember this is your time to heal, bond with your baby, get to know each other and prepare for a lifetime of love. Anything else is a distraction.
With preparation and awareness you can make your own lying in peaceful, nourishing and healing. Want to know more about Lying-in?