It is now well established that diet is one of the most important determinants of health and disease which means that the food we consume should be carefully selected. When it comes to our health no other food group offers the amount of benefits that are associated with the consumption of fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables contain several phytonutrients that are not found anywhere else and although these phytonutrients are often not recognized as essential, they help to prevent a plethora of diseases including cardiovascular disease and cancer – North America’s leading causes of death.
Population studies have established that adding one daily serving of fruits and vegetables to the diet decreases the risk of cardiovascular disease by 7% which means that an apple a day would save 4000 Canadians lives every year! Research has uncovered new health advantages associated with fruit and vegetable consumption which include:
- Prevention of acne with studies showing that infrequent consumption of raw fruits and vegetables is a risk factor for acne in adolescent women
- Attenuation of the body’s inflammatory burden
- Modulation of the immune system which is primarily related to the presence of carotenoids and flavonoids in fruits and vegetables.
- Anti-aging effects related to the presence of antioxidants in fruits and vegetables which translates to cognitive benefits and a lessened chance of suffering from Alzheimer’s disease
- The high nitrate content of fruits and vegetables also translates in significant benefits related to the production of Nitric Oxide which lowers blood pressure and improves blood flow
- Prevention of obesity in adolescents
- A multitude of health benefits for diabetics including cardiovascular effects and the prevention of lipid abnormalities
- Fruit and vegetable powders possess anti-hyperglycemic and anti-obesity properties
- Reduction of the risk of developing metabolic syndrome
- Prevention of tooth decay and tooth loss
- Promotion of weight loss in overweight individuals
- Reduction of the overall mortality risk
Greens products are growing in popularity as a supplement to a healthy diet. Fruits and vegetables are rich not only vitamins and minerals but many other phytonutrients that have health benefits which cannot be achieved by a regular multivitamin. In addition, greens products are excellent additions to a whole foods diet and an easier way to get those elusive 8-10 servings of fruits and vegetables!
Vitamin C with Beets ‘n’ Berries
is a simple way to improve health and to increase your consumption of fruits and vegetables. Powdered vegetables offer a fast and convenient way to supplement with vegetables.
Nitrate-rich vegetables, antioxidant-rich superfruits and the powerfood barley grass juice make up this blend of wholesome goodness, available in powder or tablet form for extra convenience!
Vitamin C with Beets ‘n’ Berries contains fruits and vegetables that have been carefully processed to maintain their nutrient content and to make sure that the final product tastes great. The ingredients are either dehydrated vegetables or vegetable juices which helps to make sure the final product will dissolve readily in water. Vitamin C with Beets ‘n’ Berries is free of all artificial flavours or colours and guaranteed free of pesticides. AOR’s Vitamin C with Beets ‘n’ Berries is also free of fillers such as lecithin or apple pectin, the main ingredients in several greens products currently sold. The product is naturally sweetened with a Stevia extract for a great taste.
Babio N, Bulló M, Salas-Salvadó J. Mediterranean diet and metabolic syndrome: the evidence. Public Health Nutr. 2009 Sep;12(9A):1607-17.
Balsano C, Alisi A. Antioxidant effects of natural bioactive compounds. Curr Pharm Des. 2009;15(26):3063-73.